Discovering that there was a reason to believe in God (from the previous post), I set out to determine which god could it be? It only made sense to me, that if an intelligent being created the Universe and set the world in motion, He would want us to know Him. Everyone is built with an inclination to believe in God. Atheists call it a "god gene". They think it explains away God, but I think it supports the opposite. If I would send my sons and daughters out in the world, I certainly would like to plant a homing device on them so I could continue my fellowship with them.

So I decided to examine the giant religions. I looked at Christianity, Judaism, Islam, Hinduism, and Buddhism.


Truthfully, I kind of tabled Hinduism and Buddhism. Hinduism makes way too many claims that can't be confirmed. All the mess about reincarnation just can't be substanciated. Buddhism doesn't really hold to a god, so that kind of eliminated itself. However, I do think that there are elements of both those religions that has truth to it. Just another example of the Bible's claim that God has written on the hearts of man.


Judaism and Christianity are basically the same religion with Christianity opening a new chapter on what was built by Judaism. Islam, in a sense, does the same thing with Christianity with Muhammad coming along 700 years of so after Jesus. I will address how all this stacked up to me soon.










Labels: , ,

4 Responses to “The Search Continues”

  1. # Blogger The Real Mother Hen

    waiting for the next one :)  

  2. # Blogger The Real Mother Hen

    One more thing - a God-fearing Jeff and a "psychosomatic" freak don't go well together :)
    See, one more reason you can't combine the two blogs!  

  3. # Blogger Michelle

    I often wonder.. do we search for the truth or our truth? And which one does God want us to find?
    Now my head hurts from all that thinking. :-\

    Nice post Jeff, but I think I'm starting to agree with Mother Hen. I originally was for you combining your blogs, but I'm beginning to see how you have two lines of thought/experience here (in your two blogs) that both deserve their own "space" to grow.  

  4. # Blogger Jeff

    Mother Hen: Thanks for the input. Your opinion has weight with me.

    Michelle: Multiple truths. Hmm . . . I struggle with that. Is truth not universal? There are many opinions, but one truth I think. Still there are many paths to the same truth. This will undoubtedly be a post of its own some day. Remind me, will ya? ;)  

Post a Comment



About Me

The purpose of this blog is for me to keep track of my own spiritual journey. Anyone is welcome to agree, disagree, debate, whatever they want to do, but my goal is for this to be a learning experience for myself. Hopefully, others will help me learn and perhaps learn something themselves. In it, I will not tell others what or how to believe, but will only share my beliefs and experiences.


Visitors


Search



XML