As I was sitting in church Sunday, I couldn't help but notice all the people that were REALLY getting into the worship part of the service. In my church, the worship is led by a band that plays upbeat, even rock music. Looking around the auditorium, many people (mostly teenagers) were swaying, raising their hands, worshipping. I am a little more demure about my worship - especially in the past few months because of situations that are trying to rob me of my joy (but ultimately failing). But I digress . . .

I am reminded about the time I attended a Motley Crue concert a couple of years ago. It was an interesting night, actually. There were plenty of things to look at that one usually doesn't see as he trifles down life's avenues. For one thing, I saw a scantily-clad young woman leading a little person (although he was referred to as a midget) by a leash. There were nearly naked trapese performers, fire, explosions and plenty of f-bombs to go around. The music was loud and true to the original sound of the eighties glam bands. Oh yeah, there was also a miniversion of "Girls Gone Wild" thanks to drummer Tommy Lee, a hand-held camcorder, and two giant screens - oh and of course local women and two hours worth of consumed beer.
The thing I noticed the most, however, was not the nudity, profanity, or the rock and roll. It was the crowd - it's behavior. Notice that I described the crowd as a singular entity rather that a plurality of people. That is because they were of one mind, one spirit.
In unison, they sang, jumped, pumped their arms toward the objects of their affection. It was more than the throng admiring the music or the musicianship. The multitude was enraptured and was caught in unified worship.

I was in awe. Not that I have never witnessed this phenomenon before, but I never truly SAW it before. It confirms what my Christian spirit and the Scriptures have always taught me. God writes instructions on the hearts of mankind. He programs us.

God gave us a necessity for worship. When we are lost in this world, the instructions are often perverted. Nevertheless, they always manage to surface. The crowd worshipped Motley Crue because they had a NEED to worship . . . something. The band offered a loud, high energy, outlet. It made perfect sense.

Many Christians would have been offended if they saw what I saw on that night. I wasn't. These people, the band and crowd alike, are on their paths - living out what they think is written on their hearts. No, I wasn't offended. I praised God for letting me in on a little more truth.





Labels: ,

6 Responses to “Written on their Hearts”

  1. # Anonymous Anonymous

    Jeff,

    I SOOO want to comment on this. I just don't seem to be able to get the time to put the thoughts down. But I will get to it. I promise.  

  2. # Anonymous Anonymous

    Jeff,

    First, let me say that I love concerts. I love music. I love crowds. I love a cold beer (especially after an ultimate frisbee game). I love entertainment in a big way!

    But...

    I have to ask this question before I start: Do you believe the Bible? (No, seriously.)

    I don't mean whether or not you interpret Genisis or Revelation literally. I don't mean whether or not you believe that all the accounts and parables are to be read without applying some level of interpretation. I mean, do you believe that the Bible is the Word of God and that it is the Standard and Ruler on which we should base our lives?

    The answer to that question will determine whether or not my comments will be heard without a "filter", or if my comment will fall flat.

    Now...

    I understand that the point of this post is that you realized God planted something within all of us that makes us welcome an expression of unity en mass. But the part I have difficulty with is the part about not being offended by the sinfulness you saw there.

    I have to say that this one definately does NOT stack up well against the Scriptures.

    I am reminded of the Tower of Babel. Here was a bunch of folks who were sinning up a storm (the act of attempting to reach heaven without the help of God). The Lord found their activities offensive, even though they were unified.

    I am reminded of a passage in 2 Cor. 6:14-16 which says, "Do not be yoked together with unbelievers. For what do righteousness and wickedness have in common? Or what fellowship can light have with darkness? What harmony is there between Christ and Belial? What does a believer have in common with an unbeliever? What agreement is there between the temple of God and idols? For we are the temple of the living God. As God has said: "I will live with them and walk among them, and I will be their God, and they will be my people."

    From reading your post I would guess that you fellowshipped, harmonized and agreed pretty well with the crowd.

    Drunkeness? Nudity? Profanity?

    I dunno, mate. I compare your admiration of their unity to seeing a couple involved in adultery and thinking, WOW!!! Look how much they love one another!

    Look, I can avoid joining in on the profanity. I can avoid joining in on the drunkeness. And perhaps you are more pure and not so easily dragged into sin than I am, but if a naked woman (or many naked women) was flaunted in front of me, I imagine it would take me all of about .01 seconds to start lusting after what I saw.

    Are you like me and the other 99.9 percent of the men in this world? If so, I would think that staying at that particular concert was not a very good idea.

    I am sure you are familiar with Galatians 5:19ff. But in case you are not, I'll post it:
    "The acts of the sinful nature are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity and debauchery; idolatry and witchcraft; hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions, factions and envy; drunkenness, orgies, and the like. I warn you, as I did before, that those who live like this will not inherit the kingdom of God."

    Dude! You experienced at least 5 or 6 of the things in this list alone at that concert!

    I guess I am a terrible Christian. Because I would have had to high-tail it outta there. I would not have been able to stay and see the wonders of God in that crowd. I gotta hand it to you, Jeff. You must be a VERY strong Christain.  

  3. # Anonymous Anonymous

    Wow! Wow! Wow!

    When I have more time . . .  

  4. # Blogger Jeff

    I am going to respond to your feedback with a whole post in the very near future. I did a similar thing about the "secret blog" post. Despite our disagreements, Danny Kaye, I welcome your participation and feedback. It makes things interesting.  

  5. # Blogger The Real Mother Hen

    hhmmm...
    I don't know about this too.  

  6. # Blogger chosha

    DK, you're not really a big picture guy, are you? I think you are so busy being offended at details that you sometimes miss the glory of God. And by the way, Jesus hung out with a lot of people considered undesirable and evil. He may not have been comfortable at a Motley Crue concert, and he might have left when the shirts started coming off, but I think regardless, he would also have seen the potential in these people, and the evidence of their very human needs and natures.

    Jeff, I like your point, though I'm uncomfortable with the idea of God programming us. I don't think the answer to why we are as we are is as simple as that. But in the end I just like that you could stand back and see that these people are still children of God, in spite of any deviation from the path God sets before us.  

Post a Comment



About Me

The purpose of this blog is for me to keep track of my own spiritual journey. Anyone is welcome to agree, disagree, debate, whatever they want to do, but my goal is for this to be a learning experience for myself. Hopefully, others will help me learn and perhaps learn something themselves. In it, I will not tell others what or how to believe, but will only share my beliefs and experiences.


Visitors


Search



XML